In 2006, ASPA launched the Founders’ Fellows program, aimed at supporting the next generation of public service leaders through a series of professional development opportunities. The Fellows attend and present at the Annual Conference and write a subject matter paper on an issue related to their scholarship or work, which is published in PA TIMES
Initially open to graduate students, the Fellowship program has expanded to include new professionals in the first three years of their public service career. In 2015, the program significantly strengthened its visibility, content and offerings. This year’s class of 23 Fellows—selected following the most competitive process to date—participated in a year-long series of activities that included ongoing mentoring, webinars and more.
2018 Founders' Fellows Program
The Founders' Fellows program is now accepting applications for its 2018 class! Applicants undergo a rigorous review process, competing for 25 available spots. You must receive a letter of recommendation from an ASPA member in good standing to qualify as a candidate for the program.
Applicants must submit a resume, personal statement, essay and their nominator’s information and recommendation letter as part of their application. A completed application will include:
- An application information form
- A list of career and research interests
- A resume or CV
- A personal statement
- An essay (more details are provided in the online application)
- Your nominator's letter of recommendation
- All applicants must be a member in good standing and
- Be a currently enrolled student (Master's or doctoral level) or a new professional (within three years of having graduated from an academic program)
All application packets are due to ASPA by Oct. 13, 2017 at 11:59 p.m. ET.
Click here to access the application form.
"Being a Founders’ Fellow has given me an unmatched opportunity to build lasting relationships in public administration. I had the chance to meet outstanding individuals from around the world who will undoubtedly become future leaders in their organizations and in the public administration community. Getting to know my cohort, their work and their passions about enhancing governance, civics and democracy domestically and around the globe was not only enlightening but also inspirational."
- Will Swann, Florida State University, 2015 Founders' Fellow
- Complimentary attendance at the Annual Conference, where they present their research
- Complimentary hotel accommodations
- A mentorship with senior mentors who are matched with them based on academic and professional interests
- Tailored professional development webinars that address their specific educational and professional needs
Thank you to the following institutions, groups and individuals for your financial support of the 2018 Founders' Fellows program:
- Stephen R. Rolandi
- San Diego State University
- Texas Southern University
"I think the program is an excellent way to link practitioners and academics, which I feel is one of the most important aspects of ASPA."
- Peter Federman, University of Kansas, 2015 Founders' Fellow